Monday, June 13, 2016

WHY YOU WON'T SEE ANY CARL FLAMM BOOKS AVAILABLE FOR SALE ON iBOOKS

Carl Flamm Books believes in the distribution of written works and any artistic endeavors to be available to you the consumer through as many channels as possible.

This means that Carl Flamm Books can be purchased from a number of different avenues, making it easy for me as a writer and you as the reader to find and select what books you wish to purchase and where you wish to purchase them from.

Now i'm a BIG Apple fan. Anyone who knows me knows that. I have about every Apple computer, iPad, and iPhone available and I try to always have the most recent technology at any time. Apple Inc. is great for this and I really appreciate the nuances, durability and ease of use that they put into their products.

But here's the problem:

If I publish any book through Apple iBooks, I can ONLY PUBLISH VIA iBOOKS. Apple demands full publishing rights which means that as a consumer, if you want to read one of my books via hardcopy or paperback, or through Amazon Kindle, and I decide to expand my horizons and publish in iBooks, I CANNOT PUBLISH VIA ANY OTHER TYPE OF PLATFORM. I guess one could argue that this would be no different than if I had a contract with a big publishing house and they retain all the rights, but that is not the case.

One of the main reasons I think independent publishing is so great is that you don't have to depend on agents or huge publishing houses to pull your manuscript out of a "slush" pile and not only read it, and not only decide to publish it, but decide to put money behind my books and promote them as well.

Self-publishing has been around for a while but it has never been easier to do it then it is now. I believe it is the wave of the future and the less publishing demands I have to cow down to, the better.

After all I write the books and you read the books. We should be the ones benefiting from their publishing. Not a faceless company that wants to limit or control their publication.


No comments:

Post a Comment