Thursday, August 11, 2016

MY BEST ANSWER WHEN ASKED WHAT I WRITE ABOUT

I was in a coffee shop today and a person at another table saw my T-shirt that read "Be careful or I'll put you in my next novel" - a shirt that my sister in law had gotten me for Christmas. I didn't intentionally wear it just to show off at a coffee shop. It was wash day and it was the only clean shirt I had to put on. Really.

How do you know that I am telling the truth? Because quite frankly I hate it when people come up to me and notice that I am writing and ask what I write about.

How do you answer a question like that? I suppose I could say that I write about the horrors of the human condition, or that I try to tell a story with heart that will give the reader an uplifting message at the end, none of which would be true.

So I was honest:

I told them that I wrote stories about fucked up people doing fucked up shit.

That shut them up fast and suddenly they had to get back to their croissant.

So if you ever get the Jeopardy question: Who writes stories about fucked up people doing fucked up shit, you'll know the answer:

I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment